Accessible Formats Specialist
With over 300 employees and around 6,000 volunteers the Blind Foundation is New Zealand’s leading provider of services and support to people who are blind or have low vision. Celebrating 128 years, we are one of New Zealand’s most trusted and iconic Not for Profit organisations.
- Are you intrigued by how people who are blind or have low vision access print materials?
- Have you got excellent proofreading and English literacy skills?
- Do you enjoy variety and want a chance to really make a difference?
If you answered yes to these questions, this could be the job you have been looking for.
We are seeking an Accessible Formats Specialist to join our Accessible Formats service. The AFS Team consults about and provides conversion of print texts into a variety of alternative formats including braille, large print, electronic text, and web sites. This role will initially focus on braille, but once you have mastered braille it has the scope to move on to many other areas. Creating any accessible format includes carefully editing text as well as interpreting visual material and writing text equivalents or creating tactile or enlarged images. This role appeals to those who have an eye for detail and enjoy working in a focused environment.
The successful candidate will have:
- Excellent English literacy and proofreading skills.
- Undertaken study at tertiary level.
- Experience or knowledge in design or computer graphics, braille production, accessible formats, or a background in math, science, music and/or education would also be advantageous.
Become an ambassador for the Blind Foundation! Our staff take an active interest and participate in fundraising and volunteer opportunities.
If you believe you have what we are looking for, we would love to hear from you! Please submit a formal application below through our Careers Portal, where you can also view the position description. If you have any questions please contact our Recruitment Team on 09 355 6992.
Applications close on Thursday 22 November 2018.
The Blind Foundation welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages suitably qualified people who are blind or who have low vision to apply for roles within the organization.
Job no: AFSNov18
Location: Auckland, Awhina House, Parnell
Closing Date: Applications close on Thursday 22 November 2018.